Thursday, January 16, 2014

5 things I wish I knew.

I talk a lot about being gentle. I say it to clients, both work and school ones, and I say it to my friends. I talk about honesty, specifically emotional honesty. I discuss the benefits of being genuine and accepting of yourself, exactly as you are, while still searching for opportunities to grow and expand your mind.

In short, I talk a lot about wellness.

However, in practice, I often fall short. I am not gentle with myself. I am impatient, condescending, belittling, and entirely negative when I am thinking to myself. The same grace that I try to give the people around me is sorely lacking when I focus on myself, looking inward.

There are a few possible reasons for this:

Maybe I don’t like the person that I see when I look in the mirror.
Maybe I am not as successful as I would like to be, as accomplished or productive.
Maybe I could be a better friend.
Maybe I don’t try hard enough.


OR… maybe I have been taught to be hard on myself.

That last one rings a lot more true to me than any of the statements before. I have learned, through my culture and my own personal experiences, that I am capable of excellence and that anything less is inadequate. I have learned that anything that can be perceived as a weakness must, in fact, be a weakness.

All of these things are false. Unfortunately, I can know that intellectually without believing it in my heart. So, if I could tell myself five things and immediately believe and incorporate them into my core beliefs, they would be these things:

1. Although I am capable of excellence, the entire range of my ability to generate product is acceptable. It’s ok if I only do good enough on something. It’s even ok if I fail. My value as an individual is not correlated to the value of the things I do.
And no, I do not believe that we are what we do.

2. Saying ‘no’ is not wrong. My ‘no’s are not usually very straightforward, but they involve not signing up to participate in a school organization, not volunteering to do extra shopping for a work project, and not working on weekends or holidays. I could easily fit more work into my schedule, more volunteering into my day, and eventually I could easily just schedule myself out of a life… but, my down time and my personal wellness have become very important to me. That means that I must say ‘no’ to activities I don’t actually want to do. Our lives are so short. I do not want to spend any of my brief time on things I don’t find personal value and fulfillment in, especially at the cost of my own wellness.

3. Relationships matter. Up until fairly recently, I have treated my priorities as rigid and sacred. My priorities always looked like this: school, work, family, friends. Not only is that list deceptively simple, it is not conducive to personal wellness and self-care. If I made a list now, it would look like this: Myself and Michael, family and friends, personal interests and passion, school-related stuff, work-related stuff. But, like I said, my priorities are more fluid now. I do what feels right and good at the time. That means that I procrastinate. That’s ok. I get everything done. The things that I can’t procrastinate on are relationships. They are high up on my priorities because they have to happen right now. They cannot be put off until tomorrow, or until I am less busy.

4. Choose the right people’s opinions to let matter to you. I think that we all do this. We allow the people who have the lowest opinion of us to hold the most weight in our opinions of ourselves. This is backwards. Find the people who you love, who you care about, and who you know would be there for you if you needed them. Find out what they think of you. Put stock in that. Don’t listen to the people who aren’t personally invested in the person you are becoming.

5. Let go.

Hopefully reading my list has helped you to look into your own wellness. Maybe you could make lists of your own. I know that I am going to work on listening to my own advice in the next few months and see what changes happen in my life because of it. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Unless it's mean. Then don't.